The bass are the legs of the track. While the wrong drums may not provide a right support for a track, a wrong bass (sound bass or melody) can destroy it completely.
In this chapter, the students will learn how to write a successful bass line able to provide intensity, boost and groove to a track, “talking” with the beat and the rest of song.
– The bass role and its components
– Split bass examples: The importance of the sub frequencies in the mix
– How to write the bass (Sub bass)
– How to write the bass (Movements pt. 1)
– How to write the bass (Movements pt. 2)
– How to write a powerful bass
– How to create a bass line (“Tear down” example)
The creation of new sounds, to avoid the standard presets, and the knowledge of all the principal and advanced Synth methods that are the key elements of the production process to best manage a soundtrack.
In this chapter, the student will be guided through the origins of the synthesiser and to understand their evolution to the present day. Getting to know all of the control elements and the variable settings to create a sound from scratch or to easily change the sounds of already existing presets, to give them originality making them more related to the soundtrack.
– Synthesis overview and additive synthesis
– Subtractive synthesis
– The ADSR, LFO and modern synth structure
– How to design a sound from scratch and the secrets for a mix-ready sound
– Shapov- How I use the synths
– Shapov- The synths I use and love
– Bass synth FX processing (Camelphat remix example)
The Harmonics are the face of the Track. Depending on the musical genre, the harmonics have various roles. The key to giving a track the right “colour” is to know how to control, write and regulate the Harmonics, and avoiding distorting the track or making it chaotic.
In this chapter, the student will learn the characteristics of the Harmonics, their roles, main writing techniques, the theory and the techniques to the construction of the scales, chord construction and the combination of all of the techniques to write the right harmonic sequences.
– The main harmonic groups and their characteristics
– The lead: The major scale
– The lead: Minor scale and quick scale writing in DAW
– The lead: Lead creative writing
– The rhythmic harmonics: The chords
– The rhythmic harmonics: Evolved chords and variations
– The rhythmic harmonics: The circle of fifths (The harmonic sequences)
– The pad: The 3 golden rules
– How to write melodies from chords (“Don’t you worry child” example)
– NEW_ID- How I made harmonics
The Track’s Structure can be defined as a speaker’s ability to speak for hours, keeping the same interest level. Good Drums, good Bass, good Harmonics and “winning” Vocals are fundamental, it is important that they are developed in the right structure to have the ability to keep the attention span of the listener high.
In this chapter, the student will learn the tricks and fundamental techniques to structure a song, you will learn the standard and innovative structures, the emotional evolutions and the instruments of the Synth, FX and the methods of arrangement to generate attention and interest. Prospective labels will note the listening techniques, and how to structure a track to also be “cool”.
– The track structure (Verse, bridge, chorus)
– The “emotional growth”- Theory
– How to structure a track
– Track structure tips
Mix and Mastering are like applying make-up for a face. Today, you can all have a well-written track, but if it doesn’t sound good, you could miss the opportunity to get it played or even signed.
In this chapter, the student will learn the theory of the mix and mastering, the principal instruments for an excellent mix and master session, the tricks for every single sound and how to achieve “HIGH”, CLEAR and DYNAMIC sound.
– Corrective EQ and creative EQ
– Compressor / Gate / Expander
– The sidechain
– Transient shaper
– Harmonics exciters
– Space imagers: Pan, center, wideners, HAAS
– The limiter
– Axwell- How I approach the mix and my finalization masterchain
– Instruments Of The MIX ENGINEER: HARMONICS EXCITERS
– Full mix example and the Axtone style mastering